Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back from Vacation and Refreshed

Hi, All!

I am back from a weekend away. I chose a peaceful stay on this last vacation before the busy season--just wanted to read, listen to some music, and "get some rays."

The host of the inn was so nice to us. He made sure we were taken care of and recognized when we were.

While enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail (my choice: Bacardi Cuba Libre--fancy name for a rum & diet coke with lime), I had an interesting chat with man in his 60's from Phoenix, Arizona. He said that his career (he is now retired) was in foodservice. We laughed when we discovered that he graduated from the SAME university (University of New Hampshire) with the same degree (Hotel Administration)! Wow--what a strange coincidence, I thought.

We chatted about "the hospitality field." It was clear that Dave and I share a passion for it. His sage advice was: "You ride the waves in hospitality. You give it your all, even when you think you can't...and love every minute of it." It made me miss Inn at Long Lake even while away.

Dave said one of the funniest things about parties (passed on by his Dad). He said, "About parties...first one out, best dressed." It took me a moment, but we laughed so hard. That is the great thing about inns. You can meet some very cool folks--and not have to wash the breakfast dishes, too!

Back at the inn I re-discovered the blessing of it all. My days are full with painting, gardening, designing the Summer Cocktail Menu, and baking bread for my guests lately. I have said it so many times in this blog: "Believe that you are able to do what you LOVE to do." So whether is a small affair with friends at your home, or business as usual at your inn, live each day with your passion, challenging yourself, shining forth the essence of the gift that is uniquely you.

More on food to follow :-). I have to tell you about some NEW FOODS I have discovered!

Your Maine Innkeeper,
Keith
Naples, Maine

No comments: