Friday, June 12, 2009

Summer is Here!

This week has been an exciting week for me.

I had no reservations this past Tuesday and Wednesday so I headed up to Montreal (a glorious 6 hour drive) for some R&R. I stayed at a 6-room inn at which I normally stay. Yvon, the host, an older gentleman, is always a great host. I always bring him a bag of my inn-made granola and a bag of my cookies (which he remembered from my last visit). Why not bring a taste of Maine to this great city?!

I so enjoy shopping up in Montreal! There is a wonderful store on Ste. Catherine street called "Simons" that has a super selection. Of course, Inn at Long Lake is always in my mind (and heart) and, with regards to designing the rooms, it is thrilling to head out and find treasures for the inn! "Maison Simons" has some great napkins for my dining room, 2 silver pillows that were awesome for the BENNY GOOD MAN SUITE (I thought they would be more appropriate for the Jupiter II (Lost in Space) but they worked (!), and a "fur" pillow that I just "had to" grab for the CLARA BOW ROOM! That is part of the Joy of innkeeping...knowing you have captured the essence of accommodations for your guests!

Yvon and I spoke candidly about running an inn. Having been an innkeeper for some years, he spoke quietly about having PASSION for what one does. I so believe in his words as a mentor and host.

A June wedding has brought guests to the inn (congratulations to the Fox wedding party!). Also, a seaplane school in town has brought some repeat guests (Naples is a great Seaplane Accredidation destination).

Tomorrow's menu is Cherry-Sour Cream Coffee Cake and Harvest Vegetable Breakfast Pie (an old recipe from my Phillips Academy days in the form of a quiche).

Have to run but thanks for reading. Today's thought: Live with passion---it will get you everywhere you want to be!
Your Maine Innkeeper,
Keith
Naples, Maine

No comments: