Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer is Here!!

Hi, Blog Friends.


Despite the warm weather here in Western Maine, the guests at the inn have been having a cool time. This evening I have guests are from New Jersey, South America, Queens (NY), and Burlington (VT). Andi, one of my breakfast servers, is majoring in Spanish. She is delighted to hear a "native speaker" and to practice the language. While my administrative assistant, Gail, has been invaluable at the Front Desk (even with her sticking to paperwork because of the humidity!), Donna, Astra, and I met recently to discuss the Oktoberfest menu for October 23rd. (Add to list: 'order lederhosen.') The menu is amazing and we are all excited. Matthew is coming back to work some breakfasts this month. Matthew is a good worker and super guy. The guests really enjoy him. He rounds out my wonderful staff.


This morning started out with Pina Colada Muffins (served with the Orange-Rhubarb Preserves that Jane and I made), followed by Apple-Spice Pancakes with Syrup. I was surprised how popular the pancakes were! Of course, some started their day with eggs to order(lighter fare, indeed) with my inn-made Honey-Wheat Bread and sausage.


Jane came over earlier in the week to watch the big Naples Fireworks Spectacular on July 4th. I passed all the comments on our preserves to her. She was touched. We lost power for two hours that evening. It was re-stored just before the show began (to a deafening "YAY!!!!" from the Causeway audience). This year they programmed the fireworks with American music (Sousa marches, etc.) It was really very nice. Jane said: "We have the best seats in the town, don't we?" We did!


The popular cocktail on these warm evenings has been my Blueberry Cosmopolitans. An evening on the front porch, looking down at the action on Long Lake, is relaxing. I often see guests slumping down, and down, and down as their shoulders relax. This is one of the blessings of innkeeping---knowing guests are away from stress and you are helping them relax.


Weekends have been slower than normal (for any innkeepers reading this blog). Weekdays have been looking strangely active. I guess the ultimate luxury now is vacationing during the week, rather than on the weekends. People seem to be booking later and "last minute" commented a fellow innkeeper I know.


Even with the heat, and the stress of work, and increasing business as Summer works into its flow, I feel happy and blessed. Guests are pulling in to the inn's lot, so I must end. I hope that everyone is staying cool and happy, too!


Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper-Chef

Inn at Long Lake


No comments: