Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Piece of Cake!



(Above: Me frosting the cake and applying chopped walnuts to a very special birthday cake for Amy).


Greetings, Blog Friends.


Inn at Long Lake has been wonderfully busy the last few weeks and much has transpired during this time. Everyone has been in good spirits. This makes my job as Innkeeper and Chef much easier.


I was contacted last week by a former guest who has a daughter counseling at Camp Agawam in Raymond, Maine. Her birthday was coming up and I was asked to bake an inn-made Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting for her. I had made Carrot Cake in the past so this went well (the best recipe I found was with my old Oster blender, believe it or not).


Delivering the cake to the camp was hysterical! I placed the frosted cake in the trunk of my car (all cleaned out by my handyman, Cree, that day. I placed the cake in a cardboard box and garnished it with 4 fresh daisies. I was hyper-sensitive to every bump along the 12 mile trip. I drove it over like it was the President of the Karen Carpenter Fan Club! Its final destination at the Camp was in the Main Office where all the other counselors verbalized statements of jealousy. It was a special day--my first "by scratch cake sale!"


Learn as you go, I say. Take your passion step by step along its road. Interject love at every joyful lesson. Be patient with yourself along the way.


Things are happy here in Western Maine. Hope they are wherever you are as well.


Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper-Chef


No comments: