Sunday, June 5, 2011

"In The Hunt for Rhubarb"




Greetings, Blog Friends and Foodies!



While preparing the inn for the upcoming Summer and Fall seasons, I was able to get away and spend time with some old, and new, friends. My lady friend Jane (see blog entry from 2010 on Preserving) had called a few weeks to happily inform me that her rhubarb patch was coming up and that I could extract from it what I needed.



And, so....early yesterday morning I put my "grubbies" on and headed over to her house in nearby Raymond, Maine. Jane is a busy C.P.A. and at 8am on a Saturday morning I felt it too early to ring her bell (in the event she was still asleep). I marched down to the gorgeous patch of vegetables and cut a lovely amount of fresh rhubarb (shown above).



Rhubarb has been around for quite some time, pre-dating back to 2700 BC in China. It was grown for many years for medicinal properties! This vegetable did not, however, make it to the U.S. until 1790-1800 when seeds were introduced to the soils of the great State of Massachusetts. Circa 1822, rhubarb was available in produce markets around the country finally.



Rhubarb's tart taste is often sweetened with sugar for eating. Found in pies, tarts, and jam (which is what I use it for at the inn), the vegetable is a good source of vitamin C and dietary fiber. There are some excellent websites containing information and recipes. My favorite recipe for slathering liberally on toast is a Cherry-Rhubarb Conserve I make at the beginning part of the inn's Summer season. Conserve, unlike preserves, lasts as long as any "open jar of fruit" in the refrigerator (about 1-1/2 weeks). Preserves, of course, once properly processed can last in storage for quite some time.



At the very core of it, I am proud (and happy) to be able to make basic conserves in my inn kitchen. Too many scrape jams out of jars (or worse...offer those little containers of processed jam on the tables---ick!). By utilizing seasonal fruits and vegetables, like rhubarb, I can present to my guests the grandeur of each season's garden abundance! (I just adore my work!!!!)



That is all from the inn today. I am off to work on the grounds and enjoy the Maine sunshine. Thank you so much for reading. (PS: Try rhubarb in some recipe this early Summer!).


Check us out on Facebook under The Inn at Long Lake and "like us." ;-)



Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper-Chef, The Inn at Long Lake

No comments: