Sunday, September 6, 2009

A New High in Lows...

Today's breakfast at the inn started with a Peach & Nectarine Coffee Cake. Next, the featured dish a (crustless) Broccoli and Gouda Cheese Quiche. Now, those of you who know the inn know that I make bread daily--but today I wanted to make some Garlic-Rosemary Skillet Potatoes.

I par-boiled the potatoes, heated some olive oil and a small bit of margarine in the skillet. Next, toss in the potatoes, sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and rosemary. Wow! The aroma on this crisp September morning was sublime!

The low? No ketchup in house to serve with the potatoes!

My friend, Denise, in New Orleans (who still lives in the Bywater neighborhood where I lived for 4 years), had a discussion that once went like this:

DENISE: You New Englanders! You think that the country owes you the world.

KEITH: Well, dear...the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock...not Little Rock.

DENISE: And your cooking, you have only 3 spices...Salt, Pepper, and Ketchup.

KEITH: (laughter)

I had to laugh at her barb (she meant it all in jest). No reply or retort could break through my laughter. So, today I thought of Denise and chided myself about "what a poor New England Chef I was" because of having no ketchup in house.

This may remind you to stock that pantry as we New Englanders do this time of year...catch the sales, think ahead, buy in bulk only the things you are going to use regularly.

Hoping today finds you happy, cooking, and honoring Summer 2009 with homespun recipes!

Your Maine Innkeeper,

Keith A. Neubert
Naples, Maine (at Long Lake)

No comments: