Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Check, please"---"Gourmet" Magazine closes it pages...




Greetings, all.


I was saddened to hear the news about Gourmet magazine's departure from our bookshelves. After almost 70 years, the magazine's producer, Conde Nast, cited a decline in ad sales as its primary reason for its continuance.


While I am not a big fan of magazines, or inns, that label themselves as "gourmet" (just a personal preference), it is a sure sign of the times. Expensive ingredients, advanced techniques, and choice of articles may also have swayed readers away towards more "accessible food."


Monthly publications are quite economical and keep us informed to current food trends. Among my favorites are: "Cooks' Country" and "Bon Appetit." I also purchased a subscription to Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" for myself and my lady friend, Fay (at $10 for 2 subscriptions, I could not resist!). If you glean one or two recipes from each month, it is worth it!

I so enjoy when the magazines (or cookbooks) break down a "classic dish" and give you tips on how to make them (eg. making the best crust for a Chicken Pot Pie). I remain open to learning by reading the writer's point of view---rather than just doing it "the way I always have."


Let us celebrate the work of the writers of this magazine! They truly changed the way we looked at food, moving us forward into new lands of taste, and because they shared their passion of food with us, and for us.


Your Maine Innkeeper,


Keith A. Neubert

Naples, Maine

No comments: