Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Friends are the Best Teachers"




Greetings to all!


Last month Inn at Long Lake's "Sing-a-long" Evening on the weekend after Thanksgiving was very special.


I re-connected with Patrick Brideau, who was the Head Baker at Phillips Exeter Academy back when I was the Lead Dinner Chef. Patrick has left the Academy and now teaches culinary arts students in New Hampshire. He is a great mentor in my cooking career and I wanted to invite him and his lovely wife, Maureen, to the inn for this evening of music and fun. Patrick accepted.


In addition to Patrick and Maureen, I invited two dear friends of mine, Dick and Dianne, from Mount Vernon, Maine (up near the Belgrade Lakes Region of Maine). The next week, of course, a visit to their house was in order for them to play hosts. They enjoyed listening to the music played by Charles Grindle (who is just so gifted on the piano & can play almost anything by ear!). Matthew, our resident theatre artist (and Front Desk Assistant) even graced us with a number or two ;-).


Patrick is a mentor that was patient, kind, and very real life in his teaching. It was my pleasure to thank him with a stay at the inn. During his stay here I realized what a cool guy he is and how much (as in the case of most friends) that growing together is a true test of a good friend. With your good friends you can ask when in doubt, expecting pure, honest feedback in a caring way.


The weekend was a memorable part of 2009, not for just me but for my guests. How interesting it was to see my "old friends" meet "new friends" that were guests at the inn!


Today, let's consider the individuals in our lives that helped us evolve in our careers, spirituality, and in depth of perception. Tell them. Honor their teaching always. You never know---they might very well be a continued source of enjoyment and enlightenment in your Life.


Your Maine Innkeeper,


Keith A. Neubert

Inn at Long Lake




No comments: