Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"Parsnips--the new Potato?"




Hey, again. I seldom write two blog entries in one day (up late watching American Idol) but wanted to pass on some "kudos" to parsnips.


I have read many recipes on Roasted Parsnips (usually in the Fall, tossed with chopped carrots and potatoes, drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper). Yum!


Betsey, my friend from Common Folk Farm up the street (she blends and makes the best Catnip pouches, according to my gal pal, Fay) stopped by the other morning with some glorious looking parnsips from her garden. I had spoken to her about a Spiced Parsnip Quick Bread recipe I saw.) I rarely cook them but for dinner tonight I boiled them (like carrots), whipped them, seasoned them with butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. A touch of brown sugar in them would be delicious, too.
They were great! Lower carb than potatoes but starchy enough to give a potatoe feel. An interesting, slightly nutty flavor of carrots and potatoes. (Peel. The boil time with a 1/2-inch dice was 8 minutes).


Try them!


Keith

No comments: