Sunday, June 20, 2010

"Me? A Dad?! Wow!!!"




Happy Sunday to all!


It seems befitting that this weekend holds Father's Day as this week the life of my 2nd company came into reality. I feel like a "Dad," of sorts! Yes, it was a good excuse for pickles and ice cream these last few months, but in the end, my corporation, which bestows the beautiful Inn at Long Lake in my stewardship, finally has a brother--well, a brother company!. Much more on this later (and I do mean much more!). I am astonished, confident, and feeling very blessed about having this new project.


I never thought I'd even go to business school, or become an innkeeper or chef, or be this happy doing work I enjoy doing on a daily basis...but it's just the way my Life played itself out--and I am thankful. Sometimes we don't know what is over the mountain. All we need to do is enjoy the trail up the hill!


This weekend the 4th Annual Maine Blues Festival was held in the town of Naples, Maine. It was well attended and the guests staying at the inn were wonderful. Many of my repeat guests were back and it is nice to catch up with them and show them all the new touches the inn has now (since last year). The music was very good (I could hear it from the inn's front porch) and the crowd looked diverse and friendly (I overheard a few "Woos" and "Hoo Lordies!!" over the band's music--I suspect the latter is one of the necessary sounds when listening to the blues!! Hahaha.)


My breakfast this morning started out with my Cocoa-Banana Quick Bread with Irish Cream Glaze. Then, something I have wanted to try for a long time---a Blueberry Lasagna-style Casserole. Now...before you roll your eyes on this idea. It was good, people loved it, and I had to take a chance and try some new things. Here is how it was basically made:


Cut cinnamon bread. Soak in tradition egg custard (for French Toast), pan fry, fit done french toast into a pre-sprayed casserole. Mix ricotta cheese (yes, ricotta!) with vanilla extract and brown sugar; spread over French Toast layer. Top with some blueberries. REPEAT. I topped the mixture with a little brown sugar and flour (mixed) and slivered almonds (chopped hazelnuts would be great, too!). Let set 4 hours (I had to add more egg custard down the sides of the layers.) Cover with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, check for doneness of the custard. Hence the Blueberry-Ricotta French Toast with Almond Streusel came to be.


Have to end this posting. Thanks for reading. Have a great day (or whatever day you want it to be!).


Your Maine Innkeeper,


Keith A. Neubert

No comments: