Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Birthstone is a Ruby, too...

Greetings to you from this June-warmed day along Long Lake in Maine.



It was a recent Friday in May and this innkeeper was getting out of town with his affable friend, JB (visiting from San Francisco).



We rented a cabin in equally-beautiful Central Maine (one with electricity--I like "rustic," but no electricity is "barbaric!" hehe). We woke after a wonderful night, beautifully cool and laden with the sound of only night crickets). May is a great month to just drive around and look at Yard Sales--and we did exactly that after a few lazy cups of microwaved coffee.



One sale held a surprise that enriched my Life. At the long line of haphazard tables were two tables full of bric-a-brac. Nothing piqued my interest.



"I sell fudge, too, you know," said a voice behind the tables (I was absorbed in the items and was startled to hear a voice).



"Pardon me?" I replied smiling. "What did you say, Ma'am?"



"I sell fudge," said this cute little lady sitting in a lawn chair. She pointed down. "Right here." In the shaded area around her car was a basket with small boxes of fudge. They were lovingly kept way from the increasing heat of the day. "I borrowed this recipe from my friend Bob when he was in culinary school. Do you kBoldnow Bob in Bangor?"



"Ummm....no," I smiled and laughed. "Name doesn't ring a bell. I don't get up to Bangor that much."



The lady revealed her name as "Ruby." She makes fudge and sells it every week at the local VFW (until, as she says, "I can't make it no more.") Ruby was a peach and a real "gem" of a Maine woman. I told her I was an Innkeeper in Sebago Lake. She nodded and behind her eyes I could see a fond memory of her past playing like an old movie, ending in a peaceful smile upon her beautiful face.



JB had come over to witness my conversation with Ruby. He offered his photography know-how and snapped a picture of us. Instead of "say cheese," JB laughed and improved a "Say FUDGE!" Ruby put her thumbs up in the air proudly, we laughed, aBoldnd that special moment is captured above.



It was a very happy moment for me to meet Ruby. She follows her passion and is such a great example of anyone who shares the abundance of a good recipe--or their craft. I saw a lot of her in me---cooking just for the sake of sharing, building for the sake of building. How important that is with our family recipes and our individual talents with the world! One thing, for sure, Ruby does it...in only a way Ruby can. And......(come closer)....so can you!



PS: Oh, the Peanut Butter Fudge was sublime. Three "YUMS" up!!!



From Maine and Sebago Lakes area,

Keith A. Neubert, Innkeeper

No comments: