Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cocktail Know-How: Grenadine


Hello, Blog Friends.


Grenadine syrup is a popular flavoring used when making many of the classic cocktails in American cocktail culture. Many of us may know this red, sweet syrup from our days of sipping the Shirley Temple (gingerale drizzled with grenadine and stuffed with cherries and oranges). Didn't we feel so "grown up" when one came to our restaurant table.


Grenadine syrup is made from the juice of red currants and pomegranates, not cherry juice (although in some pinches maraschino cherry juice might work!). In most beverages a scant 1/2 ounce is enough to pack a punch without overpowering.


Some cocktails this syrup is used in are: the Bacardi Cocktail, Tequila Sunrise, the Singapore Sling, and the Ward 8 (a grenadine laced whiskey sour). Being a syrup, grenadine adds a pink/red color to the beverage and sweetness.


My favorite brand of grenadine is Giroux. It is so much a favorite that if I am in the mood for, say, a Bacardi Cocktail I ask the bartender which brand of grenadine syrup they pour. Anything else...I change my drink order immediately. I've been mixing cocktails with Giroux since 1986, when I first started bartending at a family restaurant in New Hampshire. It may be found at most grocery stores next to the mixers, margarita salt, and bottled lime juice. A small bottle should last you a season of libation enjoyment (if not longer!).


I know of no cooking uses for grenadine syrup (at this time). I do hope, however, you might stock this (if you have young children around for family gatherings, it would be thoughtful).


I am roasting a chicken in the kitchen as I write and the smell is intoxicating. Until next time...


Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper-Chef

No comments: