Tuesday, February 24, 2009

After the Storm...

Hi, Blog Readers and "Foodies"-

Maine had a substantial Winter storm on Sunday evening. Fourteen inches of snow fell.
After the clean-up I received a phone call from my friend Tracy (who owns the wonderful "wild plum" store down the street.) She and her family had lost power and she asked if they could stay at the inn. We had a really fun time!

How does this relate to innkeeper, you might ask...Ummmmm---ALWAYS have a stocked pantry and a few things tucked away in the freezer. I was able to throw together a beautiful beef stew with hoisin and red wine. The stew was served over garlic mashed potatoes. It was yummy! Why not keep a list on your fridge of food items that you can buy, say, once a month? Don't let trying a recipe be cut short (and these are all great travels) by not having something to add into it. How about buying some new flavored vinegar, or take a stroll down the International Aisle of the food store? But...use the recipes you have been reading online or in a book as a starting point!

I started my Tai Chi class today. It was so fun and I laughed myself silly over how uncoordinated I am! Well, again, learning is challenging and "quitters never win" so take it from my day: try a new recipe, write a letter to someone you care about, take a new class---or better yet, invite someone over to COOK with you----now THAT is the best way to spend an evening at home!

Thanks for reading today.

Your Maine Innkeeper,
Keith

No comments: