Monday, February 2, 2009

My Weekend in New England

Hi, Blog Readers and Inn Lovers!

I closed the inn this weekend and went down to the Boston area to visit my friend Fay. Fay is the garden designer for the inn and in our conversations we were able to pre-plan some of the exciting changes and direction for the landscaping of the inn grounds.

We also were able to swap Christmas gifts to each other. I was given a very cool book called Make Mine Vodka", a book on classic cocktails and vodka-based infusions. For years I was a bartender and this book was inspiring in that one can actually create flavored (infused) vodkas using fruit and herbs in your own home. The book offers new spins on the classic cocktails using these homemade spirits as well as new drinks.

Another book I have enjoyed lately is called "Infused" by Susan Elia MacNeal. This author uses vodka and other liquors as bases for even more creative spirited infusions, including tailor-designed liqueurs! I hope to create some of these at some point. They appear easy and I look forward to trying them in my food and beverage offerings in the coming year.

Hoping everyone enjoyed the weekend! Make this day your best day YET!

PS: My grandmother, Clara Butler, turned 93 recently!! Love you, Granny!!!

Your Maine Innkeeper,
Keith
Naples, Maine

No comments: