Monday, December 7, 2009

In Loving Tribute: Clara Butler (1916-2009)


Hi, Blog Readers and Foodie Friends:
This weekend my family wished my "Granny," Clara Butler (my Mom's Mom), a beautiful journey to Heaven. The last few weeks have been challenging, especially for her and my Mom. I was able to bolt down to Massachusetts after Thanksgiving to let her know how much I loved her--and that she was, indeed, considered one of the best. It was one of the most touching experiences of my Life. The look of love in her eyes when she held my hand for (what we knew would be the last time) broke my heart, and opened it at the same time.
How blessed my Mom, my brothers, and I are to have had her in our lives for 93 years! My older brother, Bill, shared many lovely memories at the service. Among these were Christmas Eves, fun on the golf course, my Granny's awesome American Chop Suey (use a cast iron pan only, she revealed to me!), nights we all sat and watched the Lawrence Welk Show together. No matter how bad things would get chasing after 3 grandsons, my Granny never used curse words! Funny what we recall...
After my brother, I spoke about my feelings on "letting go" to the group. This is not the "I'm saying goodbye" type of letting go, more the confidence & conviction in your Faith that God will always provide you with answers to your troubling questions in time, even carry you when you feel that you cannot move forward. The strength to hold on to this knowledge is what my Granny showed me in her Life. There are things you can do in Life--but sometimes one must just offer it to God and know that perspective and Grace will come in time with patience and Faith.
My Granny was so happy for me when I assumed ownership of Inn at Long Lake. She knew it was a lifetime of dreams come true (and she always said: "The hard work will keep you out of trouble!") She enjoyed hearing about what was going on at the inn with all my projects, too. Heck---every time I make Hermit Bars at the inn she is thought of (she used to keep these moist, spicy raisin-dotted bars in a metal tin in her electric oven--just waiting for my visit with her! hehe).
My thanks to all my friends who supported me during this time! Thanks to the Merrimac Valley Hospice in Massachuesetts who were angels in the last days of Granny's life here on Earth, and to the staff of Lawrence General Hospital.
Granny, I will miss you, remember you, love you, and hold you near my heart forever. You are the best!!
Keith
Grandson #2 ;-)

No comments: