Friday, May 14, 2010

The Innkeeper's Vacation--Part 3




Greetings to Everyone!


In the last blog posting I was starting my vacation. JB, my friend from San Francisco, had arrived and I was starting to relax from "all things required to get the inn ready for 2010."


Jane, a lovely lady friend of ours (a C.P.A. in the area), suggested we take JB out to a posh dinner in Portland. I thought this a good idea! Jane made a reservation at Fore Street, one restaurant I have heard many good things about, but had never tried. JB is a dear friend and well worth the splurge (I knew this place was on the higher end of dining).


I was the Designated Driver that evening (never drink and drive, my friends!). We arrived a little before our reservation time. Having worked in restaurants most of my life, it is fun (and in a way odd) to analyze the dynamic and process of a restaurant in action. The open kitchen concept of Fore Street was interesting---and I was impressed at the professionalism of the staff.


My friends enjoyed their food. I, however, ordered a thick cut (locally raised) pork chop that was inedible. Now....I am not a complainer but given the $32.00 price tag, I pointed out the rather large "fat cap" on the portion (over an inch thick!). My server was cordial, apologized, and within no time I received my second choice--a beautifully cooked, thick, juicy Swordfish Steak.


All in all, this particular Sunday evening was wonderful. Despite the first attempt on the entree course (things get overlooked), the company, service, ambience, and food was delightful. JB was happy--and giving that to a friend (or an inn guest) is my idea of "happiness."


The vacation was only just beginning as we drove back to the Lakes Region. A night with friends--truly the "stuff" that makes Life even better--was another fond foodie & being-with-friends memory.


Catch you soon!


Your Maine Innkeeper,


Keith A. Neubert

No comments: