Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Innkeeper's Vacation--Part I


(Pictured above: Me standing on the shores of Raymond Beach (Raymond, Maine).

Greetings, Blog Readers!


A couple of weeks ago I put the "No Vacancy" sign up in front of Inn at Long Lake and with a sigh of decompression plopped my feet up on the couch. April is a perfect month to get outside Spring yard work done, demand can warrant closing the doors for a while, and in proximity to the upcoming busy Summer and Fall, I have time to think creatively.


Innkeepers really never go on "vacation." We think of our inns in the same way parents (hardest job on the Earth, I believe!) show constant concern over their children. Having said that, my vacation was a variety of work, laughter, soul-searching, and fun.


My dear friend, JB, from San Francisco arrived 3 days after the shutdown. He is a brilliant photographer, artist, and creative spirit. We had a long list of cooking, gardening, and decor projects that kept us busy--and, at times, stressed (the good type of stress). JB loves the inn and the inn kitchen (it is larger and better equipped than his in San Fran) so daily I was treated to prepared meals while I worked and watched television. The man is a master of vegetables and how to bring out flavors and freshness.


My "days off" (what's that??!! haha) were very cool and I hope to share with you some of the moments in the next few postings. After 14 days, a fair share of Bacardi and white wine, and the company of a fellow creative spirit, I am revved up/"totally stoked"/excited over the busy year ahead.


Life is a "hoot" when you are doing what you love. That was my intention for my time off from the inn. I look forward to sharing with you my personal Foodie adventures--they were happy treasures in the path of those 2 weeks. They bring a smile to my face...and quite possibly, yours, too. Oh, I thought of all you blog followers/readers during my time away, too (Yippee! 2300 hits in 2 years!).


Catch you soon with all the groovy, wild details!


Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper

Naples, Maine

No comments: