Monday, March 22, 2010

Cherry Pie---The Results




A quick Monday note to say that my attempt at making the crust for the Cherry Pie was "okay." The canned filling I used (not my first choice) was blah. The crust, while evenly baked, was a little gummy (probably overworked with my rolling pin).


I spoke to my lady friend, Dianne, who lives up in Maine's Belgrade Lakes region. She swears by the following recipe:
NEVER FAIL PIE CRUST
2 c. flour

1 c. vegetable shortening

1 egg

1/3 c. water

1 tsp. vinegar

Cut shortening into flour. Add egg. Combine water and vinegar together. Add to dry mixture. Divide into equal portions.

Roll out on floured cloth or pastry sheet sprinkled with flour. Place in pie plate. To par-bake crust, prick with fork around sides and bottom. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Yield: 2 crusts.


Thanks, Dianne!


(Odd how this recipe does not ask you to wrap and let rest in the fridge). I will try it on my next attempt.


Cinnamon Bread French Toast this morning at the inn. Hope everyone's day is one step closer to your idea of perfection and self-expression!


Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper

No comments: