Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Cream Cheese and Green Jeans" Mid-Week Notes

Greetings to all!

I started my day doing some quick food shopping for the inn. I was up early, primed with coffee, and went out to get a fresh hair cut and head to the food store.


Browsing by dairy I found cream cheese on sale for only 50 cents (for an 8 oz. bar!). (PS: didn't the old typewriters used to have a "cent" symbol?!). In cases like this, experienced shoppers always check the expiration date. They were fine.


Fearing a busload of tourists outside the grocery store clutching toasted bagels, I stocked up (threw about 16 bars of cream cheese!) my cart. After my attempt at cherry pie, I will next attempt a cheesecake of some sort. I called my Mom (Elaine) from the parking lot, like any good son would (hehe) to let her know about the sale.


Mom said: Italic "Oooooooooooh.....I have this great cheesecake recipe a friend gave me years ago. It is delicious!"
"Is it a by scratch recipe," I queried.

"Yes!" she said. "And it tastes wonderful!"


My Mom promised to send me the recipe. I will also look around in my cookbook collection for a good cheesecake recipe.


Upon my return to the inn, a voice message from Betsey Golon up the street at Common Folk Herb Farm (a tea supplier for LL Bean, right here inBold Naples) prompted an impetuous trip to Portland for the FOOD AND LODGING EXPO. Betsey is an Herbalist and, like me, enjoys simple home cooking. We wandered the aisles on the Civic Center. While most of the food items were convenience (boxed/bagged/frozen) products, it is always interesting as a Home Cook to see what current trends and flavors are in. Mango and passion fruit seem to have some re-newed interest, by the way!


Betsey is known in the gardening circles as "Mrs. Green Jeans." She is a warm, wonderful, hardworking lady. She is a garden advisor for the original White House---Mount Vernon.

I felt a great amount of comraderie with this fellow business person today. We, after all, were doing "market research." We talked about service, trends, and living your Life following your passion in your work.


That is all for today from rainy Maine! Keep cooking and sharing with friends.


Your Maine Innkeeper,

Keith A. Neubert

Innkeeper

No comments: