Sunday, March 21, 2010

A New Type of Pie!


Greetings, Blog Friends!


A couple of postings ago I wrote about creating a positive mindset when approaching new things, especially cooking. For me, the best cooking shows on television are the ones that empower you--not show you how misinformed you are at the moment.


And, so...in following my own advice (and this is not the first time in cooking!), I decided to make a pie crust and cherry pie this afternoon. It is baking in the oven as I write (a large cookie sheet in the rack beneath it, in case of a less-than-perfect dessert--hahaha.)


I figure this is a try---not "just a try"--because all attempts to bake and cook are STEPS closer to perfection. The crust recipe was pulled out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. I combined the ingredients, used ice water for the crust, handled it sparingly, wrapped in Cling Wrap in disk form, and let it "rest" in the fridge for 45 minutes. When I rolled it out, it started breaking, had holes (I used flour on the rolling pin). I patched it as best I could and tried to make certain the crust was of uniform thickness, of course.


Well, time will reveal all. I must admit (and I hope you think about this the next time something new brings up "inadequacies" in your mind) that I almost gave it the old Dunk Shot into the bucket. My thoughts: "Why am I doing this on a beautiful afternoon outside?" "Who's going to eat all this pie?" "Gale Gand (expert baker) would kick my backside, if she saw this!" All self-defeating dialog to myself. "Deep breathe...slow down...spin it positively, Keith".....hehe.


Be realistic, and forward moving, in your own culinary challenges. If you strike perfection on the nose on try #1---Bravo! If not, be gentle with yourself, like a teacher would be. Remember that you are trying to improve yourself...and, my friends, that takes time always. After all, after that step, you are ONE step CLOSER!! Oh, and don't forget the resources around you that may have walked the pie making path----their knowledge will be quite helpful.


It is times like this I wish I had a digital camera to show you first hand this "brave attempt" on something I have said in the past that I could not do. I am doing it, though---now. Adeptly? No. Fearlessly? YES! And, needless to say, I am looking forward to whatever emerges from the oven (as long as my cherry pie is not a chocolate layer cake!).


That's all from the Inn Kitchen today. Thanks so much for dropping by!


Keith A. Neubert

Inn at Long Lake

Naples, Maine

No comments: